Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Blanket from Old Cashmere Sweaters - Part II

Photo:  Toni Youngblood
I left off with my cashmere sweater throw project here, with cut pieces of sweaters numbered according to sequence in the design layout.  See the photo below:

   
Photo:  Toni Youngblood

Photo:  Toni Youngblood
Above:  This is the completed throw.  The pucker effect was not planned and occurred partially due to differential shrinkage between different sweaters.  It was a bit of a surprise particularly because the three sweaters, black, grey and taupe making up the basic design were all purchased originally from the same manufacturer and were the exact design as one another.

Photo:  Land of Sparkle
Above:  Some examples of cashmere sweater throws I found on the Internet have actually exploited this puckering tendency, as shown in the throw from Etsy Shop, Land of Sparkle.

  
Photo:  Toni Youngblood
Above:  The throw I made has definite front and back sides; the seams showing only on the backside.  I did, however also find examples of throws which expressed the open seams as a feature.  Other throws I saw in my Internet research added a backing material to the throw to hide the seams and/or provide an additional layer.  I can see that putting a backing of soft fabric on a throw made of 100% wool sweaters will make it more comfortable against the skin.

Photo:  Toni Youngblood
I decided to add pom poms to my throw similar to those which are found on Moroccan blankets.  Such as shown in the photo belowI made the pom poms using yarn in the colors of the sweaters and alternated placement of the colored pom poms per the sweater strips. 

Photo Above via Remodelista

 Photo Above via Remodelista

Photo:  Toni Youngblood
I discovered there are many ways to make a throw out of cashmere or wool sweaters.  Cashmere does not shrink as much as wool does and therefore, cashmere does not "felt" as tightly as a 100% wool sweater will.  But I love the soft luxurious feel of cashmere in the use of the throw as I did when I wore these sweaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LIKE

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...