Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Let the view in


Last night around the dinner table, three of us were talking about our windows being dirty. Well, at my house, I'm the designated window washer, and everything else, for that matter! I was trying to recall what type of solution I used to clean my windows the last time, and couldn't. So I looked on the Internet for some ideas. I'm sharing the tips I found on TipNut below. I'm pretty sure my mom and grandmother used recipe # 5. I had a big ah ha! for the third cleaning tip on the bottom---great idea. I'll be grabbing my bucket, squeegee, newspapers and ladder. I washed the car last week and really can't believe what all I can see coming at me now!!!

Homemade Window Cleaner Recipes & Tips
Recipe #1
2 cups rubbing alcohol (70 percent isopropyl)
1/2 cup ammonia
1 tsp dish detergent (liquid)
top with water until you have 1 gallon of window cleaner
Recipe #2
2 cups water
3 TBS vinegar
1/2 tsp dish detergent (liquid)
Recipe #3
1 gallon water
1/4 cup vinegar
1 tsp dish detergent (liquid)
Recipe #4
1 gallon water
1/4 cup vinegar
2 TBS lemon juice
squirt dish detergent (liquid)
Recipe #5
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 gallon warm water
Recipe #6
2 TBSP cornstarch
1/2 cup household ammonia
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 gallon warm water
• Mix the ingredients in a bucket, make sure cornstarch is thoroughly dissolved before using.
Recipe #7
From Homekeeping – A Natural Shine To Cleaning (Recipes):
Windows & Mirrors: Store these solutions in spray bottles.
• One part vinegar added to four parts water
• One cup cold strong black tea with 3 TBS of vinegar

Window Cleaning Tips
• Spray windows with preferred cleaner solution then wipe clean with crumpled newspapers. The newspaper helps prevent streaks.
• Avoid cleaning windows and glass when the sun is hot and shining on the window–glass will dry too fast and there will be streaks.
• Also wash one side of the window in an up and down direction, on the other side scrub side to side. This will help determine which side of the glass has the streaks that need to be polished out.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Toni,
    Wow. To actually be motivated enough to give the windows a good washing. I'm impressed, indeed.

    Kelly
    Second Hand Chicks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly:
    I haven't done it yet. But I'd sure like to look through crystal clear windows!

    ReplyDelete

LIKE

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...