Thursday, January 28, 2010

Color Therapy

While searching through photos of my former Seattle Phinney Ridge neighborhood cottage for a picture of an old DIY I did, I was struck by the colors I chose for the interiors of that house. I moved from there 3-1/2 years ago. I believe I must have been attempting to defeat the effect that the oppressive greyness for nine months out the of year can have on sagging a person's spirits. The funny thing, too, at the time, I wasn't aware of an underlying inspiration for much of what I selected color-wise for the kitchen. It dawned on me one day, AFTER I had already painted, installed a chandelier, and had slip covers made for my dining chairs. Somewhere buried deeply in my foggy grey matter was the imagery from a specific painting by the French Fauvist master, Matisse---shown below. Look at the photos and see if you can see how the Matisse carried my sub-conscious along to create my colorful happy space!













































































 Above: Photo of the outside of the cottage on a rare snowy day. (Most of the time it RAINS.) The shrub in the foreground is one of three rosemary bushes in a row along the driveway. They got to be as big as my car!


















Above: Photo of the rosemary blooming in spring! Spring does come to Seattle---after a very LONG wait. But, we don't get rosemary growing outside in SLC!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Toni,
    I've always loved that painting by Mattisse. What a bright and cheerful interior to brighten up even the greyest of days in Seatle.

    Kelly
    Second Hand Chicks

    ReplyDelete

LIKE

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...